Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Shelter from the Storm: Jeff Nichols's Extraordinary New Film

"Take Shelter" is one of the year's better films I've seen so far. The film subtly paints a chilling portrayal of how we live now and has a unique perspective on mental illness.

It's an unsettling picture with two terrific performances - Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain - as well as a director (Jeff Nichols) with great promises at its helm.

The week's other film about insanity, "Dream House," was a disappointment, considering that it is directed by Jim Sheridan and stars Rachel Weisz, Daniel Craig and Naomi Watts.

Check out my Patch reviews here.

This weekend, I will obviously check out George Clooney's "The Ides of March" and will likely catch up with "Weekend" (the gay romance, not Godard's classic) and "50/50."

I will not, however, see "The Human Centipede (Full Sequence)" as it is only playing at midnight screenings at the IFC Center. I can't say I'm completely heartbroken.

No comments:

Post a Comment