Monday, October 24, 2011

This Week at the Movies: Le Havre, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Paranormal Activity 3

Note to Hollywood: stop locating found footage! To be fair, "Paranormal Activity 3" has a few truly creepy moments. But on the whole, it's another long slog through an hour and ten minutes of tedium for ten minutes of payoff.

Sean Durkin's debut, "Martha Marcy May Marlene," is much creepier and includes a breakout performance by Elizabeth Olsen. I was not quite as blown away by the picture as a number of other critics have been, but it's still a solid independent thriller - eerily shot, beautifully acted and retaining a sense of dread throughout.

The week's piece de resistance was Aki Kaurismaki's "Le Havre," which is one of the Finnish auteur's finest films to date as well as a movie that stays with you long after having seen it. In fact, the movie expands in my mind the longer I think about it. Plus, it features Little Bob! You'll have to see for yourself.

Here are my reviews for Patch.

For some non-related film content, take a look at my list of the top ten worst items to receive in your trick or treat bag on Halloween.

Later this week, I'm going to post a piece on Patch on the best Halloween films you've likely never seen. This coming weekend, I'm going to try to catch up with "The Rum Diary," "Like Crazy" and "In Time."

No comments:

Post a Comment