Monday, April 1, 2013

This Must Be 'The Place'

This past weekend was one of the better ones for movies in recent memory. I was a big fan of Derek Cianfrance's vastly underrated "The Place Beyond the Pines," which gets my vote for the year's best film so far. The picture is both a solid crime drama and family saga.

I also dug Rodney Ascher's loopy "Room 237," which chronicles the obsessions of several dedicated fans of Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining."

The week's one bust was Andrew Niccol's "The Host," which is based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer. Here are my Patch reviews for all three movies.

This coming weekend, I'll catch up with Danny Boyle's "Trance," Robert Redford's "The Company You Keep" and the remake of "The Evil Dead."

That means I'll probably not get to "Simon Killer" and Shane Carruth's "Upstream Color" over the weekend, but I'll definitely catch up with them during the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment