Monday, April 29, 2013

Weekly Roundup: Bay's 'Pain,' Nichols's 'Mud' and Bahrani's 'Price'

It was a pretty decent weekend overall for film. I really enjoyed Jeff Nichols's "Mud," which I'd say is my second favorite of his three pictures - after, of course, 2011's "Take Shelter."

The film deftly combines a crime story with a coming of age tale that appears inspired by "Huckleberry Finn." And it's further proof of that Matthew McConaughey renaissance you've been hearing about.

I also enjoyed Ramin Bahrani's "At Any Price," which combines - you guessed it - a crime story with that old nugget - the farm drama. All in all, a pretty decent movie with a strong Dennis Quaid performance.

Not so crazy about Michael Bay's "Pain and Gain." It's not as clunky as those "Transformers" movies, but it's not the smaller, independent-styled picture that it was originally rumored to be. As I mention in my review, I'm not sure Bay is the guy to be doing a critique of American excess.

Here are my reviews for Patch.

This coming weekend, I'm very excited to see Olivier Assayas's "Something in the Air" as well as Carlos Reygadas's "Post Tenebras Lux," despite those wildly mixed reviews.

And, of course, summer kicks off with "Iron Man 3," which I'll also see.

No comments:

Post a Comment