Monday, March 28, 2011

'Win Win' Does Just That, But 'Sucker Punch' Swings and Misses

Admittedly, not the best year for film so far. Just two weeks ago, I reviewed the catastrophic Battle: Los Angeles and now, this week, we have another overbearing Hollywood effects extravaganza - Zack Snyder's Sucker Punch, which plays as sort of a greatest hits package for all films of its type from the past few years. 

Fortunately, the week was not a complete loss as I was delighted by Tom McCarthy's funny, well-executed and heartfelt - without being sappy - Win Win. It's yet another indie film about a questionably upright guy who makes good by helping out a troubled youth. I know what you're thinking - oh, another one of these?

Well, I'm happy to report that the film is solid, one of the year's few gems thus far. If you enjoyed McCarthy's The Station Agent and The Visitor, you'll most likely get behind this one as well. Check out my reviews for Sucker Punch and Win Win here.

This week's a busy one. But my ambitious moviegoing plan includes seeing James Wan's (apparently) frightening Insidious, Source Code and the well-received Le Quattro Volte.

No comments:

Post a Comment