Monday, March 4, 2013

'Stoker' and 'Leviathan' Disappoint, '21 and Over' is Reliably Bad

It wasn't the great kickoff to March that I was expecting. This is, after all, the month in which a number of highly acclaimed films get rolled out, including 'The Place Beyond the Pines,' 'Beyond the Hills,' 'Reality,' 'Spring Breakers' and 'Room 237.'

Two films this week have been receiving pretty solid reviews. However, I found myself a bit let down by both Chan-wook Park's stylish and well-acted, but ultimately hollow, "Stoker" as well as the commercial fishing documentary "Leviathan." Both movies have elements that stand out, but neither completely worked for me.

And then, there's "21 and Over," which is about as dreadful as you'd expect.

Here are my reviews for Patch.

This coming weekend, I'll catch up with "Oz: The Great and Powerful" and "Dead Man Down." I'll probably not catch up with "Beyond the Hills" until early next week, so that will be included in next week's reviews. I also hope to catch Michel Gondry's "The We and the I" at some point soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment