Monday, February 4, 2013

Weekend Roundup: Bullet to the Head, Warm Bodies

So, the new year has not exactly kicked off in grand style, cinematically speaking. Michael Apted's "56 Up" is the only picture I'd highly recommend, but that one almost doesn't count since it's part of a long-running series, rather than a work that stands on its own.

That being said, I thought "Warm Bodies" was a modest charmer, which is a surprise considering that it's not only a zombie movie, but also a supernatural teen romance - a phrase that tends to make me think of "Twilight."

Anyway, it's not a great movie, but I'd place it on the short list of films that I've found to be kinda entertaining - that list also includes "The Last Stand" and "Broken City" - this year so far.

I also caught Walter Hill's "Bullet to the Head," which doesn't rank among the director or star Sylvester Stallone's best, but is passable. It's a violent and occasionally amusing, but mostly standard, action film.

Here are my Patch reviews.

This coming weekend, I'll review Roman Coppola's "A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III," which I've already seen and found to be a little disappointing.

I'll also catch up with Steven Soderbergh's "Side Effects" and "Identity Thief."

No comments:

Post a Comment