Monday, January 14, 2013

Reviews: Gangster Squad and Struck By Lightning

I need to get back to those snappy headlines. I'm always too busy.

This week, I caught Ruben Fleischer's "Gangster Squad," which I wanted to like more than I did due to the excellent casting.

All in all, it's not that bad. In fact, it's often amusing with several particular good actors hamming it up a bit. That being said, it's more of a minor pulp entertainment than a new mob classic.

I was also a little disappointed with "Struck By Lightning," whose debut, "Saved!," I found to be pretty impressive. His latest picture is also set in a high school and has a snarky tone, but it often feels forced whereas Dannelly's earlier movie breezed right along.

Here are my Patch reviews.

As for the Oscar nominees: What can I say? Truth be told, not a bad lot of nominees, even though most would agree with me that Kathryn Bigelow got the royal shaft.

Also, no DiCaprio or Matthew McConaughey.

This coming weekend, I'll catch up with "The Last Stand," "Mama" and "Broken City."


No comments:

Post a Comment