Monday, December 31, 2012

Django, Les Miz and Promised Land

In the past week-and-a-half, I saw so many new films that I couldn't fit them all into my weekly wrapup. So, this week's post includes reviews of "Django Unchained," "Les Miserables" and "Promised Land."

It should come as no surprise that I loved "Django." Every single one of Quentin Tarantino's films have landed in my top 10 of the year in which they were released. You could say I have a positive bias toward his pictures or - as I'd argue - the guy just makes some incredible films.

I enjoyed "Les Miserables," but thought it was a bit too long and had one too many musical numbers. Anne Hathaway steals the show and will likely win the Best Supporting Actress Oscar. And the set design is pretty incredible. I liked the film, but didn't love it.

Gus Van Sant's "Promised Land" is a solid little "message movie" about hydrofracking. Van Sant is a very talented filmmaker, so he is able to make such a film without allowing the message to overshadow the narrative and characters as other filmmakers might have done. I enjoyed it.

Here are my Patch reviews.

I also caught up with "The Impossible," a powerful film about a family caught up in the 2004 tsunami in Thailand. It features some strong work from Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor.

I also saw "Jack Reacher," which was pretty fun even if a bit improbable. And I saw "Tabu," the Portuguese film from Migel Gomes. I liked it, but was not quite as blown away as some other critics. It certainly has an arresting visual style and some of its sequences were pretty impressive.

This coming weekend, I'll see Michael Apted's "56 Up," which I'm eagerly anticipating, as well as the acclaimed German film "Barbara" and, sigh, "Texas Chainsaw 3D."


No comments:

Post a Comment