Monday, September 19, 2011

There's a Man Going 'Round Taking Names: 'Drive' and 'Straw Dogs'

Needless to say, I was pretty floored by Nicolas Winding Refn's stylish crime thriller "Drive" and I'm now determined to finally catch up with his "Pusher" trilogy and "Fear X."

Ryan Gosling nails it and the picture's entire supporting cast is just as good. I'd be willing to be Refn makes big transcontinental waves with both this film and some future endeavors.

I also caught up with Rod Lurie's remake of "Straw Dogs," this weekend's other film about men behaving violently. I'll give Lurie credit for even thinking to remake Peckinpah's 1971 classic. That being sad, it's a hit or miss affair. The update's ending is still pretty visceral. I'd almost recommend seeing it.

Gus Van Sant's "Restless" was my third pick to see over the weekend. And while it's certainly not among the director's best, it grows on you as it moves along. The film is visually lovely and some chemistry develops between its leads. It's not a bad film by any means - just not one of Van Sant's best films about the world of teens.

Check out my reviews here.

This coming weekend, I'll be seeing "Moneyball," but will also try to catch up with Kevin Smith's "Red State."

No comments:

Post a Comment