Monday, August 15, 2011

Viola Davis Lends a Helping Hand, but 'Less' is Not More

It's going to be light posting this week as I just returned from Cape Cod and am, as they say, in the thick of it. A busy week, that is.

But I managed to catch up with "The Help," which is based on Kathryn Stockett's novel of the same name. The picture boasts some wonderful performances, especially by Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain. I was a fan of the book, so I was pleased to find that the movie was pretty solid.

That's not to say it is problem-free. Movies made by white filmmakers that aim to capture the black experience, especially when it comes to stories involving racism, often fumble from good intentions that turn into heavy-handed filmmaking. "The Help" manages to steer clear of many, but not all, of those problems.

I also caught up with Ruben Fleischer's "30 Minutes or Less," which was not as entertaining, funny or clever as 2009's "Zombieland." It's got a few chuckles and, of course, the presence of Jesse Eisenberg. But otherwise, it's pretty weak tea.

Check out my reviews for Patch.

It's been a noteworthy week for DVD watching. I caught up with David Schwimmer's (yes, you read correctly) "Trust," Sylvain Chomet's "The Illusionist," Nicolas Roeg's "Insignificance" and - you ready for this?- "Breakin'" I will - yes, I will - be watching "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo" in the near future. Count on it.

This coming week, I'll most likely catch John Sayles's "Amigo," Lone Scherfig's "One Day" and the remake of "Fright Night."

No comments:

Post a Comment