Monday, July 22, 2013

'Conjuring' is Creepy, but Refn's Latest Disappoints

It's gonna be a quick one this week.

Nicolas Winding Refn is one of my favorites among the current crop of younger filmmakers, but his latest - "Only God Forgives" - is a disappointment.

It's not a bad film, but one that is lacking in many of the departments that made "Drive" such a great movie. It's often nice to look at - that is, when it's not being outrageously and grotesquely violent. I'm certainly anxious to see what Refn does next, but I count this one as a misfire.

"The Conjuring," on the other hand, was a pleasantly frightening haunted house movie. I wasn't a huge fan of James Wan's early work - namely, "Saw," but both this film and "Insidious" place him among the finest of current horror directors. And "R.I.P.D." was pretty mediocre.

Here are my Patch reviews.

This coming weekend, I'll see Woody Allen's "Blue Jasmine" and "The Wolverine" as well as Bob Dylan, Beck and Wilco in concert. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment