Monday, June 10, 2013

Weekend Wrapup: The Internship, The Purge, Much Ado About Nothing

It wasn't the greatest weekend for cinema, I must admit - but I've certainly seen worse.

"The Internship" was the only film from the weekend that I can say I would recommend, despite most reviews of the film on Rotten Tomatoes being pretty middling.

It's not a great film, but Shawn Levy's comedy is, at least, funny, which puts it a level above most of the other comedies of recent months.

"The Purge" was this weekend's great success story at the box office, but the film itself is a good example of a decent concept with a mediocre execution. The film has its moments, but not nearly enough.

And my thoughts on Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing" were somewhere along the lines of meh.

The one thing the film has going for it is that the actors appear to have a grasp on the Bard's language, which I can't exactly say for a number of the cinematic adaptation's of William Shakespeare's work.

In the case of Whedon's film, the problem is the tone and style. The play is, after all, a comedy, so why does the film not portray the material as such? Here are my Patch reviews.

In terms of new releases this coming weekend, it's a busy one. So, I'll try to catch up with all of the above - Sofia Coppola's "Bling Ring," the acclaimed "Berberian Sound Studios," "Man of Steel" and "This is the End."

No comments:

Post a Comment