Monday, May 13, 2013

Roundup: Gatsby, The Iceman and Sightseers

I'm gonna keep it real short this week as I'm in a poor state of health and feel as if I'm at death's door. OK, that's a slight exaggeration.

I found half of Baz Luhrmann's "The Great Gatsby" to be decent enough, especially Leonardo DiCaprio's performance. Unfortunately, the first half of the picture was just as over-stylized as everyone feared it might be. All in all, it's not a bad movie, just a flawed one.

I was pretty riveted by the true crime story "The Iceman," particularly by Michael Shannon's spellbinding work. Sad to say, I was not such a fan of Ben Wheatley's latest, "Sightseers," a grim comedy that wasn't particularly insightful, funny or inventive.

Here are my Patch reviews.

This coming weekend's reviews will include Noah Baumbach's "Frances Ha" and "Star Trek Into Darkness."

No comments:

Post a Comment