Monday, July 2, 2012

'Wild' Child: Benh Zeitlin's Dazzling Debut, Plus 'Magic Mike' and 'Ted'

This past weekend was - I'd contend - the best I had at the movies this summer so far. I enjoyed Steven Soderbergh's "Magic Mike," which was an entertaining and funny take on male stripping. The source material is (apparently) Channing Tatum's own experiences as an, umm, exotic dancer.

I also thought "Ted" was funny, even if it attempted a little too hard to offend - and, then, occasionally did. Anyway, the picture was funnier than most of Hollywood's other comedies this year so far.

But the week's - and year's, perhaps - big winner was Benh Zeitlin's debut, "Beasts of the Southern Wild." Much has been written about this film already and it's easy to see why.

The film not only contains one of the best performances ever by a child, but it's also further proof that the regional indie is not dead. It's a really excellent film that I'm glad I managed to see twice. There's a lot of "stuff" going on in the film that takes a while to sink in.

Here are my reviews for Patch.

This coming weekend, I'll be seeing "The Amazing Spider-man" and Oliver Stone's "Savages."

No comments:

Post a Comment