Monday, April 23, 2012

Good Directors, Not So Great Movies: 'The Moth Diaries' and 'The Lucky One'

I was a little let down by Mary Harron's "The Moth Diaries" this weekend, especially being such a big fan of her brilliant adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis's "American Psycho." The film felt curiously flat and lacking in subtext or substance.

The same can be said for Scott Hicks's "The Lucky One." I've enjoyed some of Hicks's other films, most notably "Shine," but his latest was pretty blah. Granted, the picture was based on a Nicholas Sparks novel. I can't say I've been particularly crazy about any of the Sparks adaptations I've seen thus far.

Here are this week's reviews for Patch.

I also finally caught up with "Bully," which I found to be moving and mostly successful. If the film has any problems, it's that it is a bit anecdotal, rather than bringing together its various victims' stories into one narrative. Nevertheless, it's an effective documentary.

This weekend, I have a lot to see: "The Raven," "The Five-Year Engagement," Richard Linklater's "Bernie" and the acclaimed indie "Sound of My Voice."

No comments:

Post a Comment