Monday, May 23, 2011

It's Paris Je T'aime for Woody, But 'Pirates' Just Avoids Shipwreck

"Midnight in Paris" ranks with "Match Point" and "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" as one of Woody Allen's best films of the past decade.

It's a charming tale of artistic inspiration that also recalls the more fantastical elements of the director's 1985 picture, "The Purple Rose of Cairo."

One of the film's greatest surprises is just how well Owen Wilson manages to channel the 'Woody' character while, at the same time, giving the character his own distinct personality. 

Of course, I also caught "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" this past weekend. While I can only imagine that the film will be more likable than some of the other blockbusters on this summer's slate, I felt pretty much the same about this fourth entry into the popular franchise as I did about "Thor" - meh.

Check out my reviews here.

No comments:

Post a Comment