Monday, April 11, 2011

Sisters Are Doing It for Themselves: 'Hanna' and 'Meek's Cutoff'

In most ways, Joe Wright's "Hanna" and Kelly Reichardt's "Meek's Cutoff" could not be any different. One is a violent, stylized thriller and the other a stripped down revisionist western with low key lighting that moves along at a quiet pace.

On the other hand, both pictures feature stories about strong willed women lost in one world or another who are doing their best to survive. Check out my reviews here.

Later this week, drop back by for my notices on Scream 4 and The Conspirator.

By the way, is it me or has this year been pretty blah for films so far? I've seen a handful of pictures I really liked - "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives," "Barney's Version," "Win Win," "Insidious," "Hanna" and "Of Gods and Men" - but none that I believe will make any sort of best lists at year's end.

There are a few other critical favorites - "Certified Copy" and "Meek's Cutoff" - that I enjoyed, but more on an academic level. And a few others, "Cold Weather" and "Source Code," that I thought were admirable misses.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Share them in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment